We take your safety very seriously, and so your new home is fitted with a carbon monoxide (CO) detector. These alarms have a lifespan of up to seven years, after which the unit will need changing because the batteries cannot be replaced.
If your alarm sounds, act immediately
- If your alarm emits a continuous four chirps and the red light flashes, open all doors and windows.
- If anyone suffers headaches, nausea or any other symptoms that could be associated with exposure to CO, seek medical attention immediately.
- Turn off all gas appliances, such as your boiler, gas fire and hob.
- If the alarm continues, leave your home immediately, keeping doors and windows open.
- Don’t go back inside until a qualified professional has confirmed it is safe.
- Don’t use ANY gas appliances again until they’ve been checked by a Gas Safe professional.
- Contact your New Home Customer Care team using the contact box on this page, or the emergency contact details if it’s out of office hours.
- If you’re worried about a gas leak or about CO fumes escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24-hour Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999.
Note: Apart from gas appliances in your home, CO can also be caused by many other things, including large amounts of tobacco smoke, town gas or a smouldering fire nearby.
If your alarm chirps intermittently
There are a number of reasons why your alarm may chirp at regular intervals.
- One chirp every minute from the alarm together with a red light flashing indicates that dangerous levels of CO were previously detected, but that levels are now safe. Immediately stop using all gas appliances until a professional has checked them. Please use the contact box on this page for more advice.
- Chirps every 30 seconds together with a blue flashing light indicate lower levels of CO that could become dangerous. Open all doors and windows immediately, and stop using all gas appliances until a professional has checked them. Again, please contact us for more advice.
- A single chirp once every minute together with a yellow light indicates a fault with the unit, in which case it will need to be replaced.
About your alarm
Your Honeywell XC70 carbon monoxide detector only requires the minimum of maintenance during its lifespan.
- Clean the outside of the case occasionally with a clean tissue.
- Ensure the holes on the front of the unit aren’t blocked with dust or dirt.
- Avoid using some household substances near to the alarm, such as household cleaners, polishes, perfumes or aerosol sprays, nail polish remover, model paint or model glue.
- You can find out more about this particular model on the Honeywell website.
Did you find this article helpful?